Tuesday, January 23, 2007

is Greediness second to Arrogance ?

We spent the last months with many new start-ups. I've got the flashbacks from 1999-2001 when young guys came with idea and a "solid" business model: eye balls. Apparently they were right but a head of time,the prices went sky rocket and we remember well what happened during 2001-2004. But it seems that its coming back once again. This time the model is Google – Ads. Does things changed? Well one might say yes, the entrepreneurs saw the bubble, felt it in their pockets, and they are more mature now……….i am not sure…there is something that always rocks the market…………greediness and that doesn't change, it was ,it is and it will be the key to understand bubbles………..
People care about percentages and not about what they really need, people read headlines and ignore the articles, so pls go deeper try to see over the numbers, choose the right partners, be creative with your business model, and try, just a little to be less greedy (even if you are the smartest/talented person on earth – at least that’s what your mother says) and its better to be a bit more humble than arrogance……….
i also find my self infringe the rule of "not being greedy" and most of the times I lose, and when I succeed I say….."Wow I could get better…….." so the above is also for me…………….

Talking of another bubble?……….the stock exchange (Israeli)…….according to my inner feelings (or wishful thinking? We all talk from our position, aren't we?) I would lower the risk position of my portfolio, I did it and usually I do it earlier than I should………..

Next time some thoughts about managing small seed VC, in a world of giants VC's

No comments: